Only connecting one way

Scott C. Best sbest "at" best.com
Fri Jan 30 18:38:00 2004

David:

	Heya. It's very likely that your Mom's DSL modem has some sort
of firewalling or NAT'ing activated within it. If so, it's meant to
prevent connections being initiated *to* it, while allowing connections
initiated *from* it. Which is why she can connect to you, but not
vice-versa.

	You have two options: first, work on reconfiguring your Mom's
DSL modem so that it works with VNC. To do this, open a web-browser on
your Mom's PC and put in the IP address of the DSL modem. The Kaboodle
application (www.Kaboodle.org) can also be used to make this step
"point and click". Once the web browser connects, there should be some
configuration pages regarding "port forwarding" or "virtual servers"
that will need adjusting.

	Your second option is to use a "server initiated" connection.
In the WinVNC server menu, there's an "Add Client..." option. If you have
a VNC Viewer running in Listen Mode, she can initiate the server to
connect with your Viewer -- sort of a reverse-connection. After that,
it'll look and feel just like a normal VNC session. BTW: this type of
connection uses TCP port 5500 instead of 5900, in case you have to make
any firewall adjustments.

	Hope this helps!

-Scott