Moving Exceed xterm windows (read as: removing exceed xterm windows...)

Corné Beerse cbeerse "at" lycos.nl
Wed Jan 28 10:29:01 2004

Anant Rao wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm using VNC client on windows 2k box and vnc server on another win2k box.
>
>>From the box running vnc server, I run xterm client (Exceed). If I move any
> of those xterm windows from vnc client on the windows, the Exceed freezes. I
> have to kill the xterm client window on  the vnc server windows box  as a
> way out.
>
> Only Exceed xterm client windows freeze. The other apps on the box are ok.
> Is this observed before? If so, any help much appreciated.

I donnot know the problem. I do know Exceed, it is an X11 server that runs on a
PC to view remote Xapplications. Hence I see you have a desktop, viewing an
intermediate system that shows a remote display.

Best way is to remove the intermediate system. You can install exceed on your
local system but you ask the vnc area for a solution. Hence, install vnc on the
remote unix system, there is a vnc for roughly every unix flavour around. Then
you can use vnc from your desktop and gain direct access to the Xsession with
the xterm, avoiding all overhead from exceed and such.

THe basic vnc setup let you, the user, start and stop the session and can be
installed and used in userspace, without any need for root-access or such.

Better to let the sysadmin configure vnc in the unix system. He can do it
following http://www.sourcecodecorner.com/articles/vnc/linux.asp (this is my
favorite for normal usage)

And I recently posted an other setup to this list, find it attached once more.

Both setups are based on LinuxRedhat but they can be used as a guideline on
other systems.