(no subject)

Bennett, Chris cbennett "at" mlp.com
Wed Jan 28 10:18:00 2004

Charles

The first thing you need to check is if you can connect to the remote
computer. To do this you will need to have the IP address of the remote
computer. This will change every time the remote computer dials up.

I'm assuming that there aren't any firewalls between the two
connections. (These could block access to the computer).

To get the IP address on the remote computer, go to the Start Menu ->
Run and type cmd. This will open a 'DOS' window. At the > type :-

Ipconfig

It should display something like :-

N:\>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

        Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : xx.xxx.COM

You are only interested in the IP Address. Once you have this, open a
cmd window on your computer and type :-

Ping x.x.x.x

Where x.x.x.x is the remote computer's IP address. If this responds with
a reply, then your in business.

Provided VNC server is running on the remote computer, on your local
computer start VNC viewer and enter the IP address of the remote
computer plus :0 in the server box e.g :-

192.168.0.110:0

If a connection is made you will be prompted for a password (which you
have already setup on the remote computer's VNC server config).

You should now be able to see the remote computer. If this doesn't work
you could either try using Symantec's PC Anywhere, which is more suited
to this type of set-up, or try subscribing to :-
http://www.experts-exchange.com/ where you might get additional help.

Chris