Problems with VNC on Windows 2000 not as service

Ryan Herbert realvnc.com "at" ryan.xar.us
Tue Jan 27 20:59:01 2004

I'm trying to set up VNC on my Windows 2000 machine at work so that I
can occasionally work remotely.  However, I don't have admin access to
the machine, so I can't install it as a service, so I have to stay
logged in and run WinVNC manually.  This causes a problem when I need to
restart WinVNC remotely (I ssh in using CygWin) - I can kill the WinVNC
server process, but when I try to start it up again, it pops up a window
wanting me to enter a password.

Is there any way to avoid having to enter a password when starting up
WinVNC manually if I'm not an administrator?  Can I manually put items
in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER that WinVNC would pick up?  What
would be really nice is if there was a -textmode commandline option or a
way to set the password from the commandline.

Also, a problem that I have a lot is that if the machine has kicked into
power-save mode on the monitor, I can connect and enter my password, but
I'll just get a quick blank screen and then the server closes the
connection.  (If I try using vncviewer from a UNIX workstation, I get
some standard connection information and then "vncviewer: VNC server
closed connection".)  On my PC at home, if I restart the service, I can
usually work around that, but I obviously can't do that to my machine at
work.  (I'm also presuming it's due to the monitor power-save mode...
it may be something else.)  Is there any command line program that I
could use to kick the machine out of power save mode before trying to
connect with VNC?  (I've even thought about using a program to eject the
CD-ROM drive with a mouse taped to it, but that seems a little error
prone...)

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me!