licensing?

John C. Swanson jswanson "at" isa-inc.com
Mon Jan 26 21:56:01 2004

You only need MS liscenses for MS Services for example:  IIS, Terminal Services, ISA, Exchange, Active Directory, Etc.  Any other servers you ran would fall under their own licensing scheme.

-----Original Message-----
From: vnc-list-admin "at" realvnc.com [mailto:vnc-list-admin "at" realvnc.com] On Behalf Of Corni Beerse
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 4:56 AM
To: cutter
Cc: vnc-list "at" realvnc.com
Subject: Re: licensing?

cutter wrote:

> Hello, a quick question:
>
> Some people at the company I work for think that you need to buy a CAL
> if you want to connect a Windows workstation to ANY server, even a
> non-MS server such as a linux box with Xvnc running on it.  I think
> this is not true.  I'm not about to ask MS since I'm sure they'll tell
> me "of course!" even if it's not true.

There is some note in the M$Windows license that says that you need to have a
M$Windows license for the machine you use to view the M$Windows display (the
license for the seat) and you need to have a M$Windows license for the machine
that serves the M$Windows display.

Hence, if you have a M$WIndows license for the machine that runs the VNC viewer
and you have a license for the M$WIndows servers then you are done.

The only possible restriction you might have is when you run a M$Windows server
and a Linux desktop. However, since most linux machines are installed on
hardware that comes with some kind of M$Windows (including license) there is no
problem at all.

Then you can install the M$WIndows server with licensing per seat at the server
side, this also coveres the license.

Be noted, there is no speak of any version or variant for the desktop/displaying
machine. a M$Windows 95 or even M$Windows 3.11 suits a need.

CBee