Xvnc as a X-server (optionally replacing the console Xserver)

Corné Beerse cbeerse "at" lycos.nl
Mon Jan 26 09:50:01 2004

Bennett, Chris wrote:

>> If I can find some time, I might put this description on a website some
>> >time. If others want to do so, please do. If I come acros any other system
>> >(HP-UX might be the first) I might mail an update. Be free to test it on
>> >any other system.
>>
>> Most likely you only need to update the Xservers file according the above
>> /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers description.
>

> Corni
>
> Thanks for that, been looking for the -dontdisconnect option, which is
> undocumented! I configured an Xvnc as the Xserver by doing the following :-

I never download the new, state of the art stuff. I start with what's available.
The Xvnc on RedHat (7.3, 9.0) does have the option. I normally check it with
`Xvnc --help` which lists the options.

In the end, none of the Xvnc parameters are realy needed, they can be used to
suit your needs. However, the '-inetd' option should NOT be used in this setup.
The '-query ...' and other xdmcp parameters are controlled by the used display
manager, hence do not use them.

> Install RealVNC v4 (Beta)
>
> ##In /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess I uncommented the line below *     #any host can
> get a login window
>
> ##In /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config I commented out the line below !
> DisplayManager.requestPort:     0
>
> ##In /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf I have the following set [xdmcp] Enable=true
> HonorIndirect=true
>
> ##In /root/.vnc/xstartup comment out any lines and add the following entry
> [-r $HOME/ .Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/ .Xresources xsetroot - solid grey
> exec gnome-session &

The xstartup file from vnc is not used. Only the password file is used where it
is addressed in the option.

> ##copy the vnc.so module to /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions
>
> ##In /etc/X11/XF86Config add the following under the "Screen" section Option
> "passwordFile" "/root/.vnc/passwd" Option "dontdisconnect" ##And the
> following under the "Modules" section Load "vnc" ##you should also make sure
> that the display modes are set

The XF86 is not used at all, hence no hardware acceleration and no graphical
console. Therefor, this XFree86 module is not used in my setup.

In your setup, it is needed to configure XF86, which is not wanted on headless,
linux servers since they sometimes donnot have a vga-display card at all.

> I think that was everything, although someone should probably double check it
> first!

On unix/linux there are way more possible setups with vnc possible than
M$Windows users can imagine ;-)