Server uses wrong (internal LAN) IP

Tim Meador tmeador "at" kc.rr.com
Sat Jan 24 11:37:00 2004

> * Seak, Teng-Fong <tfseak "at" futurmaster.com> [2004-01-23 08:44]:
>> And of course an obvious question: is there any port filter on the
>> cisco router?  Or in other words, is at least the port 5900 is
>> allowed?
>>
> Well, when I started this, I *thought* it was...now I'm not sure.  I'll
> be checking into it later.

OK, I've done some more work on this.  It seems that my IT guy actually
did what I asked him to for once.  Before, he'd left a range of high
ports open, including 5900.  A while back I was giving him a little
grief about how that was not cool, it would be too easy to hack our
systems and he should tighten things up at that Cisco router.  So, he
did - he closed ALL ports to the workstations except 5631, the default
for pcAnywhere.  I've confirmed this with both nmap and telnet.  He
never said anything to me, so I didn't realize he actually did it.  I
thought I could still use the default VNC port setup, but things are
nicely tightened up now except - the crazy guy left Telnet access to
the router open - AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!  I just can't make him understand
that telnet is a Very Bad Thing...

Anyway, this newly restricted access is a Very Good Thing.  But it might
present a problem for me trying to use VNC.  I think I can I can
reconfigure the VNC server to use port 5631 easily enough, but I wonder
if that might cause any problems with pcAnywhere.  I still can't trash
pcAnywhere for several reasons.  I'll still need it occasionally, like
for file transfers (my understanding is VNC lacks this) and for
connecting to other workstations than mine.

While I'm at it, one other quick question.  Does VNC allow remote
printing from host to remote?

Thanks!

--
Registered Linux user #266531