licensing?

Rick Cooper rcooper "at" dimension-flm.com
Fri Jan 23 22:31:01 2004

Have those people read this :
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/howtobuy/pricing/mode
l.asp

Which describes the windows 2000 client access model. It's pretty
much the same as their other service CAL models.

The key point is a CAL is required for clients that connect to MS
services, using MS authentication. You do not, for instance, need
a CAL for hosts connecting to non MS services such as VNC running
on a windows host. When you exceed your CAL for a given service
you will know because you will not be able to access that
service. CALs are for *inbound* connections not outbound. An
example would be IIS on WIN 2000 professional. When you purchase
2000 professional you have a 5 or 10 client (I believe it's 10)
license for use with the IIS services (the box is now acting as a
server) and if you attempt to connect one more client that
connection will fail because your license seats will be used up.
However, that same 2000 professional box acting as a client can
connect to as many services on as many other hosts as you care to
connect to (up to the physical resource limits of the box)... say
connect to 40 web hosts at one time. In the same respect you
could have (if you have the resources) 40 or 50 VNC clients
connecting inbound to that same host because you are not using MS
services for those connections, you are using VNC services.

Rick