Xvnc as a X-server (optionally replacing the console Xserver)

Bennett, Chris cbennett "at" mlp.com
Fri Jan 23 16:49:00 2004

>If I can find some time, I might put this description on a website some >time. If others want to do so, please do. If I come acros any other system >(HP-UX might be the first) I might mail an update. Be free to test it on >any other system.
>
>Most likely you only need to update the Xservers file according the above
>/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers description.

Corni

Thanks for that, been looking for the -dontdisconnect option, which is undocumented! I configured an Xvnc as the Xserver by doing the following :-

Install RealVNC v4 (Beta)

##In /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess I uncommented the line below
*     #any host can get a login window

##In /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config I commented out the line below
! DisplayManager.requestPort:     0

##In /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf I have the following set
[xdmcp]
Enable=true
HonorIndirect=true

##In /root/.vnc/xstartup comment out any lines and add the following entry
[-r $HOME/ .Xresources ] && xrdb
$HOME/ .Xresources
xsetroot - solid grey
exec gnome-session &

##copy the vnc.so module to /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions

##In /etc/X11/XF86Config add the following under the "Screen" section
Option "passwordFile" "/root/.vnc/passwd"
Option "dontdisconnect"
##And the following under the "Modules" section
Load "vnc"
##you should also make sure that the display modes are set

I think that was everything, although someone should probably double check it first!

Chris