F8 and Num Lock confusion with XF86

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw "at" openminddev.net
Sun Jan 18 09:04:01 2004

On Sunday 18 January 2004 16:37, Dan Olson wrote:
> I started using vnc-4.0b4 a few months ago but for the longest time I
> didn't know why F8 didn't popup a menu like it did on other unix systems
> I had been on.  My system is Mandrake 9.0 with XFree86 Version 4.2.1, so
> maybe this is unique to this configurations.

No, not unique to Mandrake.  I'm running SuSE 8.2 (XFree 4.3.0), and turn on
numlock manually, and had the same problem.  It took me a little while to
discover this too.

> Well, I finally discovered that numlock being on was the problem; once
> numlock was off F8 popped up the menu.  I looked at the code in
> CConn.cxx:138 and ran with debug output and noticed that the key event
> state had Mod2Mask set when numlock was on.  So I modified the code to
> ignore Mod2Mask as I always have numlock on.

I'm not quite sure where feature requests go, but if it is here, then I'd add
my voice to this one.  I think 'F8' should work regardless of whether numlock
is on or not.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--