Connecting to Windows XP from Solaris 9

David A. Bright BrightD "at" acm.org
Thu Jan 15 21:04:01 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Franco Stellari wrote:

> I'm trying to share the CDE desktop of a SUN machine running Solaris 8 to a
> chient installed on a Win2k PC.

I have a problem going the other way. I try to connect from a Solaris 9 box to
a Windows XP box. The connection is made and a window comes up, but then it
shuts down. Here is a transcript from the shell where I start the viewer:

bash-2.05$ vncviewer 10.80.60.5
VNC viewer version 3.3.7 - built Feb 28 2003 18:40:13
Copyright (C) 2002-2003 RealVNC Ltd.
Copyright (C) 1994-2000 AT&T Laboratories Cambridge.
See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.
VNC server supports protocol version 3.3 (viewer 3.3)
Password:
VNC authentication succeeded
Desktop name "strut"
Connected to VNC server, using protocol version 3.3
VNC server default format:
  32 bits per pixel.
  Least significant byte first in each pixel.
  True colour: max red 255 green 255 blue 255, shift red 16 green 8 blue 0
Using default colormap and visual, TrueColor, depth 24.
Got 256 exact BGR233 colours out of 256 Using BGR233 pixel format:
  8 bits per pixel.
  True colour: max red 7 green 7 blue 3, shift red 0 green 3 blue 6
ReadFromRFBServer: rdr::EndOfStream
bash-2.05$

Any ideas why this is happening? I couldn't find this in the archives. I can
connect the other way (from Windows as client/viewer to Solaris box as
server).

Thanks.

--
David A. Bright