Connecting to Windows XP from Solaris 9

David A. Bright BrightD "at"
Thu Jan 15 21:04:01 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Franco Stellari wrote:

> I'm trying to share the CDE desktop of a SUN machine running Solaris 8 to a
> chient installed on a Win2k PC.

I have a problem going the other way. I try to connect from a Solaris 9 box to
a Windows XP box. The connection is made and a window comes up, but then it
shuts down. Here is a transcript from the shell where I start the viewer:

bash-2.05$ vncviewer
VNC viewer version 3.3.7 - built Feb 28 2003 18:40:13
Copyright (C) 2002-2003 RealVNC Ltd.
Copyright (C) 1994-2000 AT&T Laboratories Cambridge.
See for information on VNC.
VNC server supports protocol version 3.3 (viewer 3.3)
VNC authentication succeeded
Desktop name "strut"
Connected to VNC server, using protocol version 3.3
VNC server default format:
  32 bits per pixel.
  Least significant byte first in each pixel.
  True colour: max red 255 green 255 blue 255, shift red 16 green 8 blue 0
Using default colormap and visual, TrueColor, depth 24.
Got 256 exact BGR233 colours out of 256 Using BGR233 pixel format:
  8 bits per pixel.
  True colour: max red 7 green 7 blue 3, shift red 0 green 3 blue 6
ReadFromRFBServer: rdr::EndOfStream

Any ideas why this is happening? I couldn't find this in the archives. I can
connect the other way (from Windows as client/viewer to Solaris box as

David A. Bright
BrightD "at"
dabright "at"