access linux box via internet

Corné Beerse cbeerse "at" lycos.nl
Mon Jan 12 12:13:00 2004

ronnie escobedo wrote:

> I setup my linux box per:
>
> http://www.sourcecodecorner.com/articles/vnc/linux.asp
>
> I'd also like to access my linux pc via a broswer aswell but I can't
> seem to get it working
> any help appreciated :)

Yes, it can be done. First you have to get it working with the normal viewer.
Once you have that working, also over the internet, for example with the
vncviewer binary on a floppy in an internet-cafe or such, only then you can
continue with the next setup:

Start a webserver on the same machine as the vncserver runs.
Have it serve the .../vnc/classes/ directory from the vnc distribution.
Now copy the *.vnc files to *.html files and update the contents. Follow the
comment in the files to fill out the details. you can also browse to a static
vnc-session and view the html source of that page.

I don't know if you can handle the result, it closes as soon as your browser
shows an other picture.

You will find, there is no advantage, except that you don't have to cary the
vncviewer around.