Viewer screen hang/freeze using CotVNC (Mac OS X)

DAVID POWELL josephsdad "at" prodigy.net
Sun Jan 11 20:22:00 2004

I'm a real newbie at using VNC, but have been
generally lucky so far.  Big problem now is when
trying to move desktop items (or items inside windows)
by the usual click-and-drag Mac method, the viewer's
cursor hangs/freezes, sometimes for a few minutes, but
usually requiring manual movement of the server's
mouse to "release" the viewer's cursor.  This network
is a very small LAN in my house, so it's not a big
problem to go to the server and tweak its mouse, but
I'd like to know how to prevent this hang/freeze.

I'm using a B/W G3 PowerMac, 350 MHz, 128 MB RAM,
running OS 8.6, as the server, and a 17" (FP) G4 iMac,
1 GHz, 512 MB RAM, running OS X as the viewer.  They
are connected via Ethernet ports through a Netgear
router (RP614v2).

Any specific suggestions for a person unfamiliar with
networking (me) will be greatly appreciated.

Dave Powell