3.3.7 Xvnc MUCH SLOWER than 3.3.3 (SPARC/Solaris 7)

James Weatherall jnw "at" realvnc.com
Fri Jan 9 13:52:59 2004

Tim,

What sort of applications are you running at the Solaris end?

I'd recommend trying VNC 4b4 in place of your existing Xvnc, WinVNC and VNC
Viewer, which is pretty stable and generally better behaved than the VNC 3
series releases.

Cheers,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.

-----Original Message-----
From: vnc-list-admin "at" realvnc.com [mailto:vnc-list-admin "at" realvnc.com] On
Behalf Of Tim Wood
Sent: 07 January 2004 22:34
To: vnc-list "at" realvnc.com
Subject: 3.3.7 Xvnc MUCH SLOWER than 3.3.3 (SPARC/Solaris 7)

VNC is great technology I've used over 3 years, so I was very surprised to
discover that dropping in Xvnc 3.3.7 to replace 3.3.3 resulted in a major
increase in latency to move windows (in outline mode).  My client is Win2000
using the 3.3.7 viewer.  Whereas the 3.3.3 server lets me drag windows with
near-local speed following the mouse, 3.3.7 refreshes the outline about 5
times slower.  My Xvnc command line (started via dtlogin) is:
/usr/local/bin/Xvnc :1 -rfbauth /home/timwood/.vnc/passwd -alwaysshared -cc
3 -depth 8 -geometry 1280x1024 -auth /var/dt/A:1-8QaOFT

The only change is the Xvnc version and I get the performance hit.  Fiddling
the client connection options resulted in no change or slower still
(CopyRect on).

Also, I notice that the Windows VNC service sets my local desktop background
to blue (I'm aware of the option) and does not restore it when the client
disconnects or when the service is stopped.

Ideas, clues welcome...
Thanks,
TW