3.3.7 Xvnc MUCH SLOWER than 3.3.3 (SPARC/Solaris 7)

CORUM, M E [AG/1000] m.e.corum "at" monsanto.com
Wed Jan 7 23:33:01 2004

Interesting.  For me, (on Windows) it was just the opposite.  Version 3.3.3 was medium slow
and I'm finding 3.3.7 to be pretty snappy, even fast at times.

Mike Corum

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Wood [mailto:timwood0 "at" pacbell.net]
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 4:34 PM
To: vnc-list "at" realvnc.com
Subject: 3.3.7 Xvnc MUCH SLOWER than 3.3.3 (SPARC/Solaris 7)

VNC is great technology I've used over 3 years, so I was very surprised to discover that dropping in Xvnc 3.3.7 to replace 3.3.3 resulted in a major increase in latency to move windows (in outline mode).  My client is Win2000 using the 3.3.7 viewer.  Whereas the 3.3.3 server lets me drag windows with near-local speed following the mouse, 3.3.7 refreshes the outline about 5 times slower.  My Xvnc command line (started via dtlogin) is:
/usr/local/bin/Xvnc :1 -rfbauth /home/timwood/.vnc/passwd -alwaysshared -cc 3 -depth 8 -geometry 1280x1024 -auth /var/dt/A:1-8QaOFT

The only change is the Xvnc version and I get the performance hit.  Fiddling the client connection options resulted in no change or slower still (CopyRect on).

Also, I notice that the Windows VNC service sets my local desktop background to blue (I'm aware of the option) and does not restore it when the client disconnects or when the service is stopped.

Ideas, clues welcome...
Thanks,
TW