single desktop per user with vncserver through inetd

William Hooper whooper "at" freeshell.org
Wed Jan 7 15:58:00 2004

Corni Beerse said:
> Mike Fedyk wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I like the feature where I can have my users login through one port and
>> then
>> login to their user with [xgk]dm, but last time I tried it I was able to
>> make several instances of desktops, but not login to the same desktop
>> again
>> from another vncviewer (say, from another host).
>
> I guess you look at the setup as described at
> http://www.sourcecodecorner.com/articles/vnc/linux.asp

Which doesn't meet the requirement of being able to reconnect.

>> Is there a way to do this with one port and inetd, or will I have to use
>> several ports, and tell my users which port is theirs (and start
>> desktops
>> for 50 users on startup).
>
> With the described setup you can access `vncviewer machine:50` and upwards
> for
> some variants in the geometry (size and colordept).

But not the same sesson from another machine.

It sounds like you just need to set up an init.d script to start a batch
of vncservers for you.  Look at
http://faq.gotomyvnc.com/fom-serve/cache/65.html for some examples.  The
reason is inetd is designed to start a program for a connection, then end
that program on disconnection.

Depending on the access your users have, you might just create a script
for them that starts and stops the VNC server on a specific display.  That
way they can run that script to start their own server when needed and
then close it when not.

--
William Hooper