Connecting through a cable modem ...

Bill Cassady caersidi "at" freeshell.org
Tue Jan 6 19:05:00 2004

> You realize, that you can do ALL of the things you mentioned with a
> linux iptables firewall, (and I do).  I only mention it only because you
> appear to give the impression that with the firewall/router you bought,
> you can do some things a linux fire will can not.  That is not true,
> infact, the odds are good that that router has an imbedded linux system
> in it.

Lincoln-

Thanks for this info. Yeah, the D-Link has a transmeta chip in it and
may well run Linux. Perhaps iptables will do things that ipchains
won't. My O'Reilly ssh book addresses this subject specifically, and
solves the pass-through problem with ssh agent and certs, etc. Quite
elaborate and ugly. My present Linux router is a 486 running kernel
2.2.

And the ssh book is several years old...
So I'm not up to the latest on the situation.

Considering the hassle of getting a newer Linux distribution/kernel to
run on a 486 with 25 megs ram -- or learning what I would need to know
to run one of the BSDs, the cost/benefit ratio doesn't quite work out.
It was quite a hassle to get SuSE 8.1 running smoothly on a 125
Pentiun with 32 megs ram...

So experience tells me that either you invest time or money in a Linux
router in this position.

And the commercial routers are no longer expensive, but now a
commodity item: cheap.

Or maybe I'm missing something?

Any refs would be welcome.

Thanks again-