Connecting through a cable modem ...

Dave - Market-Web jsinvest "at" mweb.co.za
Tue Jan 6 07:13:00 2004

To search the lists, I go to www.realvnc.com and select the 'search' link on
the left index.

I assume that this search is done in the vnc list archive as all previous
posts with this thread show there.

HTH
Dave

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lincoln A. Baxter" <lab "at" lincolnbaxter.com>
To: <vnc-list "at" realvnc.com>
Sent: Tuesday, 06 January, 2004 8:20 AM
Subject: Re: Connecting through a cable modem ...

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 22:51, Bill Cassady wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Napolean Dynamite wrote:
>
> > 1. Is there a way to search the VNC-List Archives so I don't have to
> > waste people's time by asking questions that have already been asked and
> > answered? I looked at the archive lists, but I did not see any way to do
> > a search.
>
> I haven't done that for a while -- but if I recall, I searched the
> titles with lynx. I suppose you could download the archive and grep
> for pertinent words, if the former was unproductive...
>
> > 2. And now to waste your time: Is it possible to connect to a machine
> > over the Internet that is directly connected to a cable modem. The cable
> > modem obtains an IP address from the cable provider and the PC has a
> > private IP address (192.168.1.x). I have done this with a router that
> > supports port forwarding, but I don't see how to do the equivalent with
> > just a cable modem. Any ideas or pertinent links are appreciated.
>
> Mike-
>
> I just installed a D-Link DI-60 broadband Cable/DSL router, fed by the
> modem supplied by the cable company. It seems quite versatile, having
> a pass-through ability that's really convenient. I was going to put a
> Linux router in that position, but there is an advantage to the
> D-Link: I can ssh directly to my server rather than having to log into
> the Linux router, then ssh again to reach the server.
>
> You can selectively block/admit protocols/ports -- or -- configure a
> complete pass-through to ONE computer in a DMZ zone: i.e. it will pass
> any stream directed to the network address to that machine.
>
> Since no manual came with the modem, this seemed like an easy
> solution. For $35 it was irresistible !

You realize, that you can do ALL of the things you mentioned with a
linux iptables firewall, (and I do).  I only mention it only because you
appear to give the impression that with the firewall/router you bought,
you can do some things a linux fire will can not.  That is not true,
infact, the odds are good that that router has an imbedded linux system
in it.

Lincoln