Connecting through a cable modem ...

Bill Cassady caersidi "at" freeshell.org
Tue Jan 6 03:53:01 2004

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Napolean Dynamite wrote:

> 1. Is there a way to search the VNC-List Archives so I don't have to
> waste people's time by asking questions that have already been asked and
> answered? I looked at the archive lists, but I did not see any way to do
> a search.

I haven't done that for a while -- but if I recall, I searched the
titles with lynx. I suppose you could download the archive and grep
for pertinent words, if the former was unproductive...

> 2. And now to waste your time: Is it possible to connect to a machine
> over the Internet that is directly connected to a cable modem. The cable
> modem obtains an IP address from the cable provider and the PC has a
> private IP address (192.168.1.x). I have done this with a router that
> supports port forwarding, but I don't see how to do the equivalent with
> just a cable modem. Any ideas or pertinent links are appreciated.

Mike-

I just installed a D-Link DI-60 broadband Cable/DSL router, fed by the
modem supplied by the cable company. It seems quite versatile, having
a pass-through ability that's really convenient. I was going to put a
Linux router in that position, but there is an advantage to the
D-Link: I can ssh directly to my server rather than having to log into
the Linux router, then ssh again to reach the server.

You can selectively block/admit protocols/ports -- or -- configure a
complete pass-through to ONE computer in a DMZ zone: i.e. it will pass
any stream directed to the network address to that machine.

Since no manual came with the modem, this seemed like an easy
solution. For $35 it was irresistible !

-Bill

> Thanks,
>
> Mike