Connecting through a cable modem ...

Benjamin Watkins ben-list "at" constant-technologies.com
Mon Jan 5 23:18:00 2004

Mike,

I just read the
<http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/SB5100/downloads/SB5100_Us
er_Guide.pdf>manual for this model, and was unable to find anything
indicating that this unit performs any routing or firewalling
functions.  My guess is that there must be some other router/firewall box
in the mix here.

In any case, I would try pointing an internet browser at the DHCP assigned
default gateway on the PC.  Assuming you have a Windows box here, you can
find this by typing "ipconfig" or "route print" at the command prompt.  If
this is linux or BSD (or most any *NIX), you can use "route" or something
similar to find this information.

For instance, if you find the default gateway is 192.168.100.254 you can
try http://192.168.100.254/ to configure any port forwarding or DMZ settings.

Of course, it doesn't hurt to make sure that the 192.168.x.x address is
truly assigned via DHCP and not a static address from another network
setup.  I assume this isn't the case, but you never know.

By the way, where did you get the public IP address from?  Was this from
the cable modem installation paperwork, or was it from something like
http://www.gotomyvnc.com/?

-Ben : )