VNC Viewer and PCAnywhere 10.5

James Weatherall jnw "at" realvnc.com
Sun Jan 4 14:13:00 2004

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Stephen Gosin wrote:

> I have found that after installing VNC Viewer, the TCP/IP Host mode in
> PCAnwhere 10.5 do longer functioned in my LAN.  A remote trying to access
> the PCAnywhere host does not get a hookup screen.  To correct it, I had to
> uninstall VNC viewer, uninstall and reinstall PCAnwhere.
>
> The ports used are not the same so I do not understand the reason why.  The
> host uses windows 98SE and VNC viewer was installed to enable fast access to
> my office computer (VNC Host) over the internet with router and cable modem
> (wideband).  VNC works quit well for that purpose but it does not seem to
> coexist well with PCAnywhere since I can't just stop the PCAnywhere Host
> when I want to use VNC Viewer and then end the viewer because PCA will no
> longer work until it is reinstalled.
>
> Any ideas?  Is there a service that VNC Viewer starts that I have to
> manually stop with a ctrl-alt-del??

VNC Viewer is a standard Windows application.  It stores a Most Recently
Used list of VNC Servers to which you have connected in your personal
registry area but otherwise leaves your system untouched.

Which version of VNC Viewer are you using?  Very old VNC distributions
installed the Microsoft Visual C++ runtime DLL in a system directory and
this could cause problems if PCAnywhere isn't compatible with that
particular version of the DLL.  Recent releases, including VNC 4b4, do not
install this DLL, or install it in the VNC installation directory.

Cheers,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.