Terminal Services v. VNC

Bill Cassady caersidi "at" freeshell.org
Sat Jan 3 17:06:01 2004

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004, Robert de Bath wrote:

> Other serious limitations of Terminal services include:

>   *) Licenses. The client must be using the same version of Windows as
>      the machine you are connecting to, if not it'll work for 90 days
>      then crash until you cough up the price of a new copy of windows.

> If you're interested in the encoding that terminal services uses there's
> an open source client called 'rdesktop'. But I think the only 'encoding'
> advantage that terminal services has is that it saves offscreen pixmaps
> at the client end; including font glyphs.

I use rdesktop (from Linux) to log into Win Terminal Services. Works
like a champ. CERN uses it and is a big booster of rdesktop. If M$
hits you for a Windows upgrade, as you say, then you could use
rdesktop to connect to WTS...and save yourself a bundle.

>...... Though it still costs a bomb for multi-user
> or mixed machines.

You sure got that right... ;(

But if you absolutely have to run a bunch of remote Windows desktops,
it's probably gonna be cheaper to use WTS than have idle Windows boxes
in th server room waiting around for someone to log into.

caersidi "at" sdf.lonestar.org