failing to connect to server

David Bull dn.bull "at" virgin.net
Fri Jan 2 19:13:00 2004

thanks very much to Scott Best, Dave Bricetti and ER Kooi, who all
responded very quickly to my plea for assistance.  The problem has now
been resolved thanks to your kind help.

The solution may be of help to others who are trying to connect to
Windows XP remote PCs.

The remote computer had its Windows XP firewall on.  Unlike Zone Alarm
etc, the firewall doesn't appear to be configurable to allow an incoming
connection.  The solution was to make the connection FROM the PC with
the XP firewall, rather than TO it.  This was done by having my
father-in-law open VNC server app, right-click on the systray icon and
select "add new client".  He then entered my IP address in the box ,
while I opened the VNC viewer in "listen" mode.  As soon as he clicked
OK on his "add new client" dialogue, we were connected, and his screen
appeared on my computer.  And his computer is still protected by the
firewall.

thanks again for all the help.

regards

David