vnc 4.0, NAT, connection reset

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw "at" openminddev.net
Fri Jan 2 12:23:00 2004

On Friday 02 January 2004 20:04, Sertar Yalciner wrote:
> Hi,
> I have spent two days searching the net but could not
> get my scenario work. Any help will be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> - I have vnc4 listening port 9000 on win2k
> - my dsl modem translates the port 21 to port 9000 on
> internal vnc server
> - when i telnet to port 21 on dsl modem i get the rfb
> message, so nat is working
>
> - when I run the viewer like mydslip::21 (vnc4 allows
> this) I get a "connection reset by peer" message.
> - When I put a secndary laptop to ibternal net and run
> vnc viewer there, it works fine.

Port 21 is the ftp control port.  Perhaps the dsl modem/router assumes that it
is forwarding a ftp connection, and is doing connection tracking based on the
contents of the connection, which could then cause it to get rather confused,
since the traffic will bear no relationship to what it expects.

Why are you using port 21?  Can you get it just to forward port 9000 (or some
other non-special port) to your win2k box?

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--
Rasjid Wilcox