VNCserver connecting problem

Jerome R. Westrick jerry "at" Westrick.com
Wed Apr 28 08:40:01 2004

There is a standard test to see if the server is installed and running
correctly.  It consists of executing "telnet localhost 5900" on the same
machine as the server is running.  (Note the port 5900 assumes display
is 0).

Correct result is the display of the RFB protocol version...
something like this:

RFB 003.003

If you don't get this then vnc server is not correctly running  on the
display you think it should!

An additional note:   UltraVnc (and I don't know about other flavors)
has a special flag "Allow loopback Connections", which has to be set for
this test to work.

The next test in the standard debug series is to do the telnet from
within your local network

telnet <myvncserver> 5900

This also tests the firewall on your vncserver machine...

Jerry...

P.S.  Since both 5800 and 5900 are already used when start VNC,  I would
think you already got a version running, if not started by you...  Do
you happen to have the trojan?   Someone had made a trojan out of vnc
once upon a time...