VNC vs. TS

Jonathan Lennox lennox "at" cs.columbia.edu
Tue Apr 27 21:45:01 2004

On Tuesday, April 27 2004, "Nicholson, Rob" wrote to "'vnc-list "at" realvnc.com'" saying:

> >No it's not.
>
> Is RDP far more tightly tied into the back end rendering system in Windows
> TS or is it just a protocol for transferring bitmaps etc. down low-bandwidth
> lines?

Both.  As far as I can tell it's theoretically platform-independent, but its
structure has some "remarkable" similarities to the way Windows does things.

RDP is an extended version of the ITU's T.128 protocol -- or, rather, since
Microsoft was the development lead on T.128, T.128 is a somewhat old
snapshot of RDP.

You can get a copy of T.128 from the ITU.  Normally you have to pay, but as
a sample they provide three free ITU recommendations per e-mail address (see
<http://www.itu.int/publications/bookshop/how-to-buy.html#free>).
Freely-distributable draft copies of the spec are also available on
www.rdesktop.org.

--
Jonathan Lennox
lennox "at" cs.columbia.edu