on Linux/KDE, how do I let someone see my active screen?

Wayne Throop throopw "at" sheol.org
Tue Apr 27 17:42:00 2004

:: KDE has desktop sharing built in.  Look for 'System/Remote
:: Access/Desktop Sharing'.  Configuration is through the KDE control
:: center under 'Internet & Network/Desktop Sharing'.  This tool
:: implements the RFB protocol so it can talk to any VNC client, but to
:: configure it so that it can handle unrequested connections you'll
:: have to alter the default settings by checking the box labelled
:: 'Allow uninvited connections'.
::
:: For anyone not running KDE, you'll need to download the X0rfb code
:: and port it forward to the latest version of X (or find someone else
:: who has already done so.)

: This answer should be put in FAQ!

If it's for the FAQ, I'd suggest including other solutions.
Especially since porting the KDE solution isn't necessary; there
have been several projects that have already done this kind of work.

There are at least five ways to do this.

 1. Run an Xvnc process in normal work, and even locally, use
    vncviewer.  That has performance impact for the normal, local apps,
    so isn't the best way, and doesn't allow doing it after the fact
    without preplanning.  But it's simple, straightforward, and works
    with all VNC releases.

 2. Use KDE screen sharing.

 3. Use the xf4vnc loadable module for Xfree86.
    This probably has the best performance.

 4. Use x0vncserver from realvnc v4.

 5. Use x11vnc, which is based on the libvncserver project.

x11vnc uses essentially the same methods as x0vncserver and KDE screen
sharing, but is implemented in a completely different way, is written
in C with no C++ for greater portability (eg, to Sun or others), and
has a raftload of tailoring options to do various specialized things.
It's what I use for this purpose, since I have to talk to non-linux
X servers sometimes, and it's easy to start up after the fact with
no pre-planning.

    http://xf4vnc.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.realvnc.com/v4/man/x0vncserver.html
    http://karlrunge.com/x11vnc/index.html