Please, please, please....

csuva11 cbruno "at" csuindustries.com
Mon Apr 26 21:37:59 2004

 Hello,

I might not be the best one to answer these questions but I'll give it a try

1- Does VNC use TCP_UDP protocol? or something else?
It uses TCP.

2- Is the port 59+ the ID # I set up on the client (my home) machine?
When you run the "viewer", you must specify the name or IP address of the
router on the distant end, assuming the systems you are trying to access are
behind a router.  You should also append the display # of the system you are
trying to access.  For example:  63.210.90.4:2.

3- What IP addy do I supply for the forwarding? Is it: the individual IP
addy of the server machine I want to connect to/control? Is it the default
gateway/IPaddy of the LAN? Is it the individual IP addy of the client
machine(my home pc)?
Port forwarding is setup in the router on the distant end, the one you are
trying to view/control.  It allows you to access the systems on the lan side
of that router.  You need an entry for each of the systems attached to the
router that you are trying to get to.  The IP address is that of each system
  These would be the systems you are trying to access (connect to/control)
from the outside world.

Go to http://gotomyvnc.com from one of the systems you are trying to access.
 The IP address inside the button should be the IP address of the router
that that system is behind.  If it isn't, then you have the same problem I
have when trying to access my office system from home, ie: another router
and/or firewall is in the path.  I haven't been able to overcome this yet.
Clicking on the button should result in an entry showing that the ports you
have forwarded are accepting connections.  If no ports are accepting
connections, it won't work.

Good luck,

Chuck