Why does VNC server on unix just die?

Corné Beerse cbeerse "at" lycos.nl
Thu Apr 22 16:15:01 2004

Kelly F. Hickel wrote:

> I've been seeing the following behavior for quite awhile, and I'm
> getting tired of it, so I thought I'd ask....
>

>>From time to time, I'll go to connect to a VNC server session and it
> will have exited.  There's nothing in the VNC or machine logs, the X
> lock files in /tmp have been orphaned, and the VNC/X process is gone.
> I've seen this with RealVNC servers ranging from v3.3 through v4b4, and
> I've seen it on solaris, RH 7.2, RH 8, RH 9, and Fedora.  I've seen it
> on my office lan, and on my home lan..  Sometimes it seems to happen
> while a client is connected, but it also happens when no client is
> connected.  Usually it seems to happen "off hours", although I've seen
> it happen during the day.  Sometimes it's over the weekend, other times
> just overnight.  I haven't been able to find any pattern, nor any clue
> to what's happening.  Other users at my company (using different servers
> and clients) have also seen this.
>

> Anybody else seen it?  Any clues?

Investigatons include settings of used stuff that can make this happen:
- autologout from the window manager or display manager (gnome, kde, cde etc)
- bad connections: If a vnc-session detects a missing connection, the viewer
fails. If it does not detect a missing connection (there is no keyboard or mouse
action) then the network can be disconnected an connected after which the
session continues...
- automatic clearing of X11 sockets (I've seen this on Solaris)

Since you use many versions of Xvnc (and vncviewer) I dont expect them to be
problematic.

CBee