Why does VNC server on unix just die?

Kelly F. Hickel kfh "at" mqsoftware.com
Thu Apr 22 15:29:01 2004

Another data point.  Sometimes this happens on machines that hav multipl
vncserver sessions, but they don't all necessarily exit, I've seen one
die and the others stay running.

--

Kelly F. Hickel

Senior Software Architect

MQSoftware, Inc

952.345.8677

kfh "at" mqsoftware.com

  _____

From: Kelly F. Hickel
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 9:23 AM
To: vnc-list "at" realvnc.com
Subject: Why does VNC server on unix just die?

I've been seeing the following behavior for quite awhile, and I'm
getting tired of it, so I thought I'd ask....

From time to time, I'll go to connect to a VNC server session and it
will have exited.  There's nothing in the VNC or machine logs, the X
lock files in /tmp have been orphaned, and the VNC/X process is gone.
I've seen this with RealVNC servers ranging from v3.3 through v4b4, and
I've seen it on solaris, RH 7.2, RH 8, RH 9, and Fedora.  I've seen it
on my office lan, and on my home lan..  Sometimes it seems to happen
while a client is connected, but it also happens when no client is
connected.  Usually it seems to happen "off hours", although I've seen
it happen during the day.  Sometimes it's over the weekend, other times
just overnight.  I haven't been able to find any pattern, nor any clue
to what's happening.  Other users at my company (using different servers
and clients) have also seen this.

Anybody else seen it?  Any clues?

--

Kelly F. Hickel