Using VNC over the internet

csuva11 cbruno "at" csuindustries.com
Thu Apr 22 12:56:00 2004

 I got it working from my home systems but not from my office.  There is,
apparently, another router that I am going to have to deal with some way.
Port forwarding worked just fine from my home system.

Thanks for the help,

Chuck
-------Original Message-------

From: Robert
Date: Thursday, April 22, 2004 7:47:57 AM
To: vnc-list "at" realvnc.com
Subject: Re: Using VNC over the internet

FWIW, I have a friend who has a Linksys 4-port router Ver 3 and who
reports that in order to get port forwarding to "take", he must first
clear the router's password back to the default of "admin". Besides
being different than my ver 2 router, the idea of zapping the password
to change another option is ridiculous BUT I know this person very well
and he would not have told me that if it hadn't been accurate.
I find it interesting that a firmware update is available for the Ver 3
4-port router
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=29&prid=561 but
none is shown for the 8-port box
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=29&prid=604
Note also that my Linksys 4-port router, ver 2 with firmware 1.44.2, Dec
13 2002 works like the users guide says (and like any reasonable person
would expect).

Seak, Teng-Fong wrote:

> Please reply to the list for your own good.
>
> When you went to www.gotomyvnc.com, you should see an IP address. Does
this address correspond your router's address in public port? If no, there
must be a firewall/router somewhere between your router and Internet
backbone routers, possibly your ISP's router.

>De : csuva11 [mailto:cbruno "at" csuindustries.com]
>Envoyi : mercredi 21 avril 2004 17:56
>@ : Seak, Teng-Fong
>Objet : RE: Using VNC over the internet
>
>Hello,
>
>I have an 8-port linksys cable/dsl router. On the "forwarding" page, I have
entered the following:

>Service Port Range Protocol IP address
> 5900-5900 Both 192.168.1.100
> 5800-5800 Both 192.168.1.100
>
>The IP address is that of my PC, assigned by the router (DHCP). I have also
tried 192.168.1.1 which is the lan address of the router.

>After setting this up, I went to www.gotomyvnc.com and tested my setup,
which fails in both cases. What am I doing wrong?

>Thanks,
>
>Chuck

Sleep -- the most beautiful experience in life -- except drink.
   -- W.C. Fields

  05:42:00 up 28 days, 17:20, 12 users, load average: 0.54, 0.49, 0.40
      One billion seconds ago it was 03:55:20 CDT Mon 08/14/72

Repeat after me: "The primary purpose of any government
entity is to employ the unemployable."