DISPLAY UNREADABLE WITH VNC Viewer

Corné Beerse cbeerse "at" lycos.nl
Tue Apr 20 08:14:00 2004

Celina Liu wrote:
> Hi, I have used the VNCviewer on  window system to install oracle software
> through a VPN connection to a Solaris box. the VNCviewer can launch the
> Installer and display fonts in the Installer window are fine, but  Now when
> I launch another tool DBCA (from Oracle as well) the display is in the
> unreadable font - all the words are together as a black line- unreadable
>
> I need to get the tool going and I would be very appreciated if somebody can
> help me with the display font issue.

If this realy is a font problem, check on a display that runs on the same
processor as your vncserver (the `Xvnc` process) and query for its fontpath
(`xset -q`). THen feed the same fontpath to the vnc-session: use `xset` to do it
on the fly, update the vncserver script for future sessions.

Since Oracle tools are involved, I know (from older Oracle tools) that they use
a dedicated colordepth. I recal by head it should be 8 or 16 bits. Try if
changing this suits a need.

CBee