VNC + Emacs *Without* a Window Manager

James Painter jpainter "at" blackmesacapital.com
Sat Apr 17 21:14:01 2004

Tennis Smith wrote:

>Thanks for the response. I'm not sure what you mean by a remote X app.
>:)  But if it means that I have to restart Emacs between connections to
>the server, then that isn't what I'm looking for.  The strength of VNC
>is that I can log off it and then log on sometime later and the
>environment is unchanged.
>
>Am I still misunderstanding?

The remote X app approach would me restarting Emacs each time you need
to reestablish a connection. If you really need that, you might have to
live with exporting the Solaris  full desktop.  As far as I know,  there
isn't a way to export only an individual app window with VNC.  I'm not a
VNC developer, so if I am wrong, hopefully someone will correct me.

--Jamie