centrix solution using vnc?

Mike Fedyk mfedyk "at" matchmail.com
Fri Apr 16 22:01:01 2004

Simon Oosthoek wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 08:35:45AM -0400, William Hooper wrote:
>
>>Jerome R. Westrick said:
>>
>>>If MS-Office is all you need then there is a product
>>>called  cross-over-office or something like that...
>>>
>>>It allows you to run M$-Office under linux workstation itself...
>>
>>Codeweavers also has "CrossOver Office Server Edition" which sounds like
>>it would fit the bill (only install MS Office on the server).
>

> Maybe I should have included some more info about the company system...
>
> We started only last year with a bunch of older PCs. I'm now looking to
> replace them with newer stuff. We started with Linux desktops and servers
> and MS Office + crossover office (currently at version 2.1). This is not a
> "perfect" solution, since a lot of features and office versions don't work.
> We have a lot of shared document development with external partners who are
> still under the dark influence of the Devil ;-).
>
> We're now evaluating our current system and the conclusion is that cxoffice
> makes msoffice very slow and also breaks quite a few features we need
> (equation editor, file saving problems, OLE actions, etc.)
>
> In a perfect world, there would be a Linux native program that can work
> perfectly together with all msoffice documents, however, OpenOffice is the
> closest candidate and it only works for about 90% of the features, breaking
> nearly all the documents we have since they typically use those features
> that aren't supported very well.
>
> I believe now that a solution using VNC probably also won't work, since the
> M$ license doesn't allow you to use it like that. Citrix might be ok, but as
> was said already, too expensive.

Try it the other way around.

I'm working in the direction of OpenOffice/Mozilla for most of our
Office suite needs, but with win2k workstations because there are some
other apps that don't run (well, or at all) under wine like FileMaker,
Mas90, Act!, and Attendance enterprise.  Also, our management is not
familiar with Linux/OSS so this will be an introduction to that environment.

What you do is have a couple Linux servers with a bunch of ram, fast
drives and export the linux desktops to the windows machines through VNC.

Also you get more clustering capabilities with a Linux Server.  You have
Coda, OpenAFS, and Lustre for distributed file sharing, and I'm
evaluating these for a hot-failover solution (and that's just the first
step).  And application management is so much easier on Linux (I use and
have only used Debian since my first Linux install in Dec 1998 with a
2.0.35 kernel...)

Mike