centrix solution using vnc?

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw "at" openminddev.net
Fri Apr 16 15:00:01 2004

On Friday 16 April 2004 23:08, Seak, Teng-Fong wrote:
> > VNC is probably not the solution you want here, unless you are okay with
> > only one user having access to the Windows machine at a time.
> >
> > You probalby want to look at rdesktop.  http://www.rdesktop.org/
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Rasjid.
>
> 	I've a curious question.  rdesktop is used to connect to Terminal servers.
>  Isn't it using a proprietary protocole of Microsoft?  Is it in the same
> situation as Samba?

From the rdestop website:
"rdesktop was initially written by Matthew Chapman based on various scarce
documentation, wire sniffs, and trial-and-error."

Sounds pretty similar to the Samba situation to me.

>  Is it totally safe (ie without the fear of thousands
> of lawyers chassing you in the back) to use?

No idea.  I am not a laywer, I have not read all the EULAs in question, nor
all the laws that may or may not render the applicable bit of the EULA
invalid.

My guess is that MS probably attempts to disallow such things under some EULA.
However, remeber that any EULA is subject to the laws of the country in
question, and that in general the countries laws trump the EULA.

This question is possibly best asked on the rdesktop-users mailling list.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--
Rasjid Wilcox