centrix solution using vnc?

Corné Beerse cbeerse "at" lycos.nl
Fri Apr 16 12:14:01 2004

Simon Oosthoek wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm new to this list, so please forgive me for any faux-pas I make in
> ignorance ;-)
>
> I work as a sysadmin in a small company and we're using Linux on the desktop
> (mainly). I'm looking for an efficient and workable solution to run
> MS-office applications, but I'd like to keep the desktops running Linux.

Do you need M$Office? or do you need to be able to handle M$Office documents?
For the latter one, I personally just moved from M$Office to OpenOffice and
there are more alternatives.

> One solution I thought up was that it might be possible to install one
> really fast machine with lots of memory, running windows and a VNC server
> and connecting the users to that machine from the Linux Desktop. If this
> would fast enough of course ;-)

Well, the default M$Windows implementation of vnc differe verry much from the
linux implementation. On M$Windows, you can only get a console view, no
dedicated sessions.

Then you might like to run a single application, not a complete desktop.
Something vnc is currently not capable of.

> My question is whether there is some experience with a solution like this
> (and if so, what are the experiences with such a solution) or if not, why is
> this not a good solution?

For that I Personally advice to look for something like Citrix ICA. Then you can
have a single M$Windows seraver with multiple virtual displays that can show on
a linux box (and every X11 box). But since you look at VNC, I think licensing a
M$Windows - Citrix server goes way beyond budget.