Need advice about what i'm going to do

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw "at" openminddev.net
Fri Apr 16 11:22:00 2004

On Friday 16 April 2004 04:35, Mathieu Pagi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am going to install linux on a machine that will not have (after
> installation) any screen, keyboard, mouse. I plan tu use it exclusively via
> VNC from my WinXP machine. So I have thoses questions:
>
> - Is my plan a good idea (feasible) ?
> - Do I have to install XFree86 ? (I don't think since vncserver is supposed
> to emulate XFree. right ?)
> - Whith VNC can I use any desktop ? I'm used to KDE.
>
> In advance, thanks for your help.

Another alternative in this case is to use Cygwin/X which will give you a real
XWindows server on your Windows box.  See http://x.cygwin.com/ for details.

Across a LAN Cygwin/X will probably feel a bit more responsive/natural. Across
the internet VNC is much better.  You could always try both and see which you
prefer.  :-)

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--