VNC and uPnP routers

Scott C. Best sbest "at" best.com
Thu Apr 15 20:14:01 2004

Gerhard:

	Heya. Your post is the first I've heard that applications can
use uPnP to auto-configure a DSL router that they're sitting behind.
The idea sounds conveniant, which means it also sounds like the opposite
of secure. :) If my DSL router actually auto-configured its port-forward
settings without me telling it to...how would I ever be able to restrict
what services on my network are externally accessible?

	Regarding Kaboodle, yes: when you use it in conjunction with a
KaboodleProxy server, it obsoletes the *necessity* for port-forwarding
(it also provides a pretty useful dynamic-DNS service). Kaboodle still
works with port-forwarding of course; KaboodleProxy just provides an
alternative for people unable or unwilling to adjust their firewall/router
settings.

-Scott

PS: As mentioned on the [Kaboodle-User] lists, the current KaboodleProxy
    code has a bug which affects some users. I've de-activated the demo
    service until we get it really fixed (hopefully near the end of
    April).