Which is the best

Corné Beerse cbeerse "at" lycos.nl
Wed Apr 14 10:01:01 2004

ProMark wrote:

> Hi Corni Beerse,
>
> I need to use it for remote support of my customers, who have NO idea what a
> router is or even if they have one.  Most have an SBC or earthlink DSL
> service (dynamic IP addresses).

Since there is no special need, best go for the most stable one. I'd say
http://www.realvnc.com/, don't pick a beta variant! Optionally tight-vnc.

> I have tried PcAnywhere, but can not connect if not installed or setup
> properly at the customer's end, since most customers are almost computer
> illiterates (I am just a little bit better than they are, LOL); they just
> know how to use one or two programs on their computers and have no idea how
> it works, so far I don't have much success with PcAnywhere.

Then you have to pre-install the stuff to prepare the machine for hands-on
support. There are messages about shooting vnc to remote machines (install
vncserver in a hands-off way). Check maillinglist for details.

> I need something that will be easy to install on the customer's end and
> secure on both ends, security is a requirement due to the nature of data
> involved.  (I am behind a firewall appliance).

If there is some NAT involved, then you do need some access to the nat-router to
predefine the route.