Which is the best

Jerome R. Westrick jerry "at" Westrick.com
Tue Apr 13 13:01:01 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 11:38, Corni Beerse wrote:
> ProMark wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Which one of these three has the best program and ease of use; TightVNC,
> > TridiaVNC and UltraVNC, and why?
>
> The real one is missing: realvnc...
>
> I'd say there is no best version in general. They all have their advantages.
>  From my point of view, realvnc is the best since that is the cleanest one and
> the one available on M$Windows, Linux and HP-UX.
>
>  From your point of view, you should say which options you need or what you like
> to do with it. Only then, one can say which is the best.
>

> > Which one has the best security features.
>
> None of the above. VNC has no security, at least not by default. If you need
> security, you best use some tunnel, ssh or vpn connection.

Beg to differ...
Tightvnc (and I assume realvnc also) implement on the unix side a
"-via" parameter to facilitate ssh tunnelsing...

UltraVnc has an encryption plugin module to encrypt the data across the
network.

> > Also are there any other vendors or versions?

I think the list should be Realvnc, tightvnc, and UltraVnc...
I don't remember what tridia is (or was)...