Virtual displays

Guy Bowden guy "at" holler.co.uk
Tue Apr 13 12:55:01 2004

Hi,

I'm currently using VNC to administer a number of touchscreen machines
within a bar environment.  I had to change what was on the display of
these screens whilst the bar was open last week and had to first VNC in,
disable the touch screen, and then change the running application on the
machine before re-enabling the touchscreen input and closing the VNC
session.  All this worked, but I did have to struggle on a few of the
machines due to people touching the screens whilst I was working with
VNC before i'd disabled the touchscreens.  I also wasn't happy that
people could see me working away infront of them.

is there any way to have a secondary screen show up on the host machine
whilst I'm working in VNC? would a possible solution be to have a dual
monitor set up - and have VNC use one, and the touchscreen use the
other? If so, is there anyway to fake this without a dual head graphics
card or two cards in the machine?

Ideally I'd like to be able to VNC in to the host. have the host display
an image on the screen and ignore any inputs - mean time i set up the
machine to what i want it to display, and then when i exit VNC, the
screen I was working on goes through to the touchscreen display.

Cheers,

Guy

--

Guy Bowden
CTO

Holler

02076891942
www.holler.co.uk

This message is confidential, you may use and apply the information only
for the intended purpose. Internet communications are not secure and
therefore Holler does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message. Any views or opinions expressed are solely
those of the author and may not represent those of Holler.
or use of it, or any part of it, in any form whatsoever, and any actions
taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may
be unlawful.