'java.net:NoRouteTohost Operation timed out' problem

George Cordahi george "at" cordahi.org
Mon Apr 12 15:36:01 2004

Hi Scott, William et al:

I still haven't seen the light of day on this..., but because I have not
been at work since Thursday, I could not test for myself whether any of the
changes I made have helped.

But I did ask a friend to try to connect to my servers via a browser. When
he entered the authentication password, he got a 'time out' error after a
while, but no "NoRouteToHost" string.

This is what I did:

1. I confirm that before making the changes you suggest, the HTML indicated
that the connection was using port 5900.
2. I opened the VNC properties on the two machines and changed the Display
numbers from "Auto" to 5 and 10 respectively
3. I changed the settings in the router as follows
        I now redirect public ports 5805 and 5810 to 192.168.2.5  private
port 5805 and 192.168.2.10 private port 5810.
        I also redirected public ports 5905 and 5910 to 192.168.2.5  private
port 5905 and 192.168.2.10 private port 5910. [Is this necesary since I can
access the servers via the vncviewer ?

4. I am still successful in local VNC connections within the home network
with both browser and VNC viewer. But when I look at the HTML code from the
browser in machine 5, to look at machine 10 as follows
http://192.168.2.10:5810/ : I get port value = 5910.  Why doesn't it say
5810 ?

<HTML><TITLE>VNC desktop [machine2]</TITLE>
<APPLET CODE=vncviewer.class ARCHIVE=vncviewer.jar WIDTH=1024 HEIGHT=800>
<param name=PORT value=5910></APPLET></HTML>

Any more suggestions ?

gc