Web-based VNC access

Fri Apr 9 11:28:00 2004

> > The quality of a product is not only the product itself, but also the
> > service associated.  You should, BEFORE selling or installing your product,
> > either tell your users that JRE is needed or install JRE for them.  Or you
> > could change the HTML stream generated by VNC's integrated HTTP server so
> > that there's something written between <applet> and </applet> which could
> > lead user to download the correct JRE, etc, etc, etc.
>
> The beauty of VNC is that you don't require installation of the software on
> a client (viewer) PC. Installing JRE locally on the host machine as part of

	Come on, of course you're not installing JRE on the server machine!  This is obvious.  Please avoid using the word "host" as it's very ambiguous: every machine is a host.

> the install won't work if I want to access my computer at home from a
> computer in a public library (connection issues aside).

	Providing that every public library is using only Windows!  What if they are using Macintosh???

	Moreover, even if Windows is used, are you sure it's IE?  Everybody knows that IE is attracting lots of worms, they could very well be using others browsers like Netscape, Opera, etc.

	And let's suppose that Windows is used and IE is used, are you still sure the security is low enough to let you install the ActiveX binary code??

> Your second proposition would require the user to click a link to navigate
> to a site that has the correct JVM for their OS, select the correct JVM,

	Come on!  I wrote "... lead user to download the correct JRE", which doesn't necessarily mean go to a site.  It could be a direct link to the JRE installer.

> download and go through the install process, and then restart the browser
> and re-enter the Internet name for their computer - and you call this

	This is done for the first time.  It's long, sure, but not hard.   And as I put it, if a user thinks he doesn't know how to do this click, click, click, his IQ is probably well below 90.  VNC would be too difficult for him :) :) :)

> transparent? Give me a break.

	I wonder who is not giving whom a break :-)

> There is no question that the majority of users participating in this forum
> can identify that they need JRE and install it without any problems. This
> isn't true for average Joe who wants to take control of his father's
> computer to help him out with a computer related problem. Joe is guaranteed

	If average Joe doesn't know how to install a click, click, click product, I really really wonder how average Joe is going to HELP his father.  Maybe he'd better go to play his sister's doll :-D