Web-based VNC access

Stephan A. Edelman stephan "at" newace.ca
Wed Apr 7 16:27:39 2004

Comments inline...

> Of course when the X appears it's perceived by end-users as a flaw in your
software, because it IS.

I'll have to disagree with you on that.

> The quality of a product is not only the product itself, but also the
service associated.  You should, BEFORE selling or installing your product,
either tell your users that JRE is needed or install JRE for them.  Or you
could change the HTML stream generated by VNC's integrated HTTP server so
that there's something written between <applet> and </applet> which could
lead user to download the correct JRE, etc, etc, etc.

The beauty of VNC is that you don't require installation of the software on
a client (viewer) PC. Installing JRE locally on the host machine as part of
the install won't work if I want to access my computer at home from a
computer in a public library (connection issues aside).

Your second proposition would require the user to click a link to navigate
to a site that has the correct JVM for their OS, select the correct JVM,
download and go through the install process, and then restart the browser
and re-enter the Internet name for their computer - and you call this
transparent? Give me a break.

There is no question that the majority of users participating in this forum
can identify that they need JRE and install it without any problems. This
isn't true for average Joe who wants to take control of his father's
computer to help him out with a computer related problem. Joe is guaranteed
to generate a tech support call to us when he sees the "X" (or a link to
download JRE for that matter).

It's unfortunate, but if Microsoft is committed to leaving JVM from its XP
installs,  it's going to have an impact on the appeal of VNC by the masses.

Stephan.

Dynamic
> > DNS software and what's distinctly evident from the volume of tech
support
> > calls we receive is that the end-user is stumped when they try to access
> > their PC and the browser just displays an "X" instead of the Java VNC
Viewer
> > applet. Furthermore, this is perceived by the end-user as a flaw in our
> > software.
> >
> > The average end-user has no idea (and doesn't care) that a JVM is
required
> > and just wants it to "work". I agree that JRE is easy to install, but
that
> > still generates a tech support call to us so we can tell the end-user to
go
> > to Sun and download an 8MB JVM.
> >
> > I'm no fan of Microsoft or their practices, but their browser
penetration is
> > so significant that we have to look for a more "transparent" solution
and
> > ActiveX may provide this for us.
> >
> > Stephan.

(1)
> > The
> > JVM
> > >
> > > That would depend on what you mean, or what you want, by the word
> > "transparent".  That means IE installs it without the end-user knowing
it.
> > Virus does that as well ;-)
> > >
> > > As a matter of fact, installing JRE is just "next", "next", "next".
If
> > this isn't simple enough for an end-user, sorry to say that, I think his
IQ
> > is well below 100.  Computer is probably not for him.  Well, he could go
> > a video shop and rent a film.  That's certainly easier :-D

> > compilation
> > >
> > > True, but there're also other JRE which are more performant than
Sun's,
> > even though I don't know which one is best.

Internet