Web-based VNC access

Corné Beerse cbeerse "at" lycos.nl
Wed Apr 7 15:59:01 2004

Stephan A. Edelman wrote:

> Let me explain where I'm coming from.  We're combining VNC with our Dynamic
> DNS software and what's distinctly evident from the volume of tech support
> calls we receive is that the end-user is stumped when they try to access
> their PC and the browser just displays an "X" instead of the Java VNC Viewer
> applet. Furthermore, this is perceived by the end-user as a flaw in our
> software.
>
> The average end-user has no idea (and doesn't care) that a JVM is required
> and just wants it to "work". I agree that JRE is easy to install, but that
> still generates a tech support call to us so we can tell the end-user to go
> to Sun and download an 8MB JVM.

If it is at a company network or such, best to install the vncviewer on those
machines. Its just a binary that can be dumped roughly everywhere.

For what its worth, just dump it on your samba-server and give users the
shortcut to `\\samba\path\to\vncviewer.exe host_to_see:0`

No need to use any overhead at all.

CBee

> I'm no fan of Microsoft or their practices, but their browser penetration is
> so significant that we have to look for a more "transparent" solution and
> ActiveX may provide this for us.

How transparent will you have it? If you put `vncviewer` in the path, then you
can use it at every host, even a M$-os.