Web-based VNC access

Stephan A. Edelman stephan "at" newace.ca
Wed Apr 7 14:08:01 2004

Let me explain where I'm coming from.  We're combining VNC with our Dynamic
DNS software and what's distinctly evident from the volume of tech support
calls we receive is that the end-user is stumped when they try to access
their PC and the browser just displays an "X" instead of the Java VNC Viewer
applet. Furthermore, this is perceived by the end-user as a flaw in our
software.

The average end-user has no idea (and doesn't care) that a JVM is required
and just wants it to "work". I agree that JRE is easy to install, but that
still generates a tech support call to us so we can tell the end-user to go
to Sun and download an 8MB JVM.

I'm no fan of Microsoft or their practices, but their browser penetration is
so significant that we have to look for a more "transparent" solution and
ActiveX may provide this for us.

Stephan.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Seak, Teng-Fong" <tfseak "at" futurmaster.com>
To: <vnc-list "at" realvnc.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 8:40 AM
Subject: RE: Web-based VNC access

The
> > reality is that Java is becoming less accessible due to the fact that
> > Microsoft has decided to remove it from its browser. Installation of a
JVM
> > is less than transparent to the average end-user.
>
> That would depend on what you mean, or what you want, by the word
"transparent".  That means IE installs it without the end-user knowing it.
Virus does that as well ;-)

> As a matter of fact, installing JRE is just "next", "next", "next".  If
this isn't simple enough for an end-user, sorry to say that, I think his IQ
is well below 100.  Computer is probably not for him.  Well, he could go to
a video shop and rent a film.  That's certainly easier :-D

> > (2) Microsoft's JVM far
> > outperforms Sun's JVM due to the fact that it does JIT byte-code
compilation
> > into a Windows native executable form, whereas Sun's JVM is completely
> > interpreted. This translates into a much slower VNC response than is the
> > case for MS JVM or an ActiveX control.
>
> True, but there're also other JRE which are more performant than Sun's,
even though I don't know which one is best.

> > My $0.02 worth...
> >
> > Stephan.

Windows