Memory leak in Linux

Bill Cassady caersidi "at" freeshell.org
Tue Apr 6 21:40:02 2004

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Warren, Glen A wrote:

> Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  I have tried to track down which
> program is using the memory, but the strange thing is that the sum of
> the memory used by the processes (sum of VmSize in /proc/IDs) doesn't
> equal the total memory used (taken from header of top output for
> instance).

Glen-

I have gone mad in the past trying to make individual mem segments
equal total memory. Evidently different diagnostics compute on a
different basis. For one thing kernel mem seems to be reserved off the
top, and for another, there are certain memory blocks 'reserved' on
boot - I don't know why or whether they are released later. Unless you
want to spend some time getting to the bottom of this - in which case
I would be eager to hear what you discover - I would recommend you
drop that question and concentrate on your original question: which
program is using the memory?

What results have you had from top?

> Below is a ps -ef output for anyone interested.

I do not see what use ps is to discover the leak...

-Bill

> UID        PID  PPID  C STIME TTY          TIME CMD
> root         1     0  0 Apr05 ?        00:00:04 init
> root         2     0  0 Apr05 ?        00:00:00 [migration/0]

caersidi "at" sdf.lonestar.org