trouble starting VNC behind ZoneAlarm

Gary Sieker gsieker "at" mail.com
Tue Apr 6 20:46:01 2004

>My home PC runs XP Pro SP1 with the latest ZoneAlarm free version. It's
>also behind a D-link DI-604 router although I don't think that's the
>problem. To connect to my work PC I first start VPN. Once connected I
>then start VNC viewer. But I never get the password prompt from work PC
>unless I change ZA settings to no protection. Once VNC starts I can set
>ZA back to high protection and it continues to work fine. I can also
>disconnect and restart the viewer in the same VPN session and it works
>OK. Is there some setting I need in ZA so that I don't have to change
>the protection settings?
>--
>Jerry

Hi Jerry.

I've had similar problems with trying to use VNC thru a vpn with ZA
running on my PC at home.  What I think I finally did was add both
the external ip address of my work firewall and the internal address
of my work pc to the 'local' ip list in ZA.  I believe this cured the
problem (although I'm not really sure why...)  Since you're behind
a router, this isn't an additional security risk as long as you've
got your router buttoned down.  If you were running ZA alone, with
no router, then I would be a little more hesitant to do this...

-Gary

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm