Error generated by VNC4 in Windows 2003 Server

Carstensen, Pete PCARSTE "at" CSKAUTO.COM
Tue Apr 6 19:17:00 2004

I am getting very similar issues on W2K3 servers with TightVNC 1.2.9.  I suspect a conflict with the Terminal Server console mode may be at the root of the issue.

Pete Carstensen, MCSE
Senior LAN Engineer
CSK Auto, Inc.
645 E. Missouri Ave.
Phoenix,  AZ  85012
(602) 631-7176
pcarste "at"

From: Seak, Teng-Fong [mailto:tfseak "at"]
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 9:52 AM
To: vnc-list "at"
Subject: RE: Error generated by VNC4 in Windows 2003 Server

	Let me answer your second question first: VNC4.
Actually, I'd been using VNC 3.3.7 with Win2003 Server for several months but I was always having problem with it (VNC server was causing errors and being shutdown by system).  And finally, I switched to VNC4 because others said it's more stable.  However, VNC4 still has some problem of "crashing".

	OK, back to the word "crash" ...... well, I can't actually describe what it is because I didn't jot down every visible problem.  Some instances that I can remember are:
1) I initiate a connection but it failed (forgot which error message)
2) I've got the password dialog and as soon as I enter the password, it failed.
3) I've got the client window and after a very short period, it closed down.  And in this situation, I'am sure that the server has "crashed".

	I have to mention that the VNC4 is registered as a service.  Moreover, the serivce is configured to recover (to restart) 1 minute after every failure.

	And when VNC server failed (crashed), there's a dialog on the console.  You know, the dialog asking if you want to report the problem back to Microsoft with two buttons: "Send" and "Don't Send".

VNC-List mailing list
VNC-List "at"
To remove yourself from the list visit: