Error generated by VNC4 in Windows 2003 Server

Carstensen, Pete PCARSTE "at" CSKAUTO.COM
Tue Apr 6 19:17:00 2004

I am getting very similar issues on W2K3 servers with TightVNC 1.2.9.  I suspect a conflict with the Terminal Server console mode may be at the root of the issue.

*****************************
Pete Carstensen, MCSE
Senior LAN Engineer
CSK Auto, Inc.
645 E. Missouri Ave.
Phoenix,  AZ  85012
(602) 631-7176
pcarste "at" cskauto.com

From: Seak, Teng-Fong [mailto:tfseak "at" futurmaster.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 9:52 AM
To: vnc-list "at" realvnc.com
Subject: RE: Error generated by VNC4 in Windows 2003 Server

	Let me answer your second question first: VNC4.
Actually, I'd been using VNC 3.3.7 with Win2003 Server for several months but I was always having problem with it (VNC server was causing errors and being shutdown by system).  And finally, I switched to VNC4 because others said it's more stable.  However, VNC4 still has some problem of "crashing".

	OK, back to the word "crash" ...... well, I can't actually describe what it is because I didn't jot down every visible problem.  Some instances that I can remember are:
1) I initiate a connection but it failed (forgot which error message)
2) I've got the password dialog and as soon as I enter the password, it failed.
3) I've got the client window and after a very short period, it closed down.  And in this situation, I'am sure that the server has "crashed".

	I have to mention that the VNC4 is registered as a service.  Moreover, the serivce is configured to recover (to restart) 1 minute after every failure.

	And when VNC server failed (crashed), there's a dialog on the console.  You know, the dialog asking if you want to report the problem back to Microsoft with two buttons: "Send" and "Don't Send".