Router/Firewall Settings for Port Forwarding Continued...

Carlyle Sutphen carlyle.sutphen "at" db.com
Tue Apr 6 13:14:01 2004

David,

I may be wrong here since I have never actually set up port forwarding.
But looking at the screenshot you pointed to, it looks like you may
have misinterpretted the meanings of "Start Port" and "End Port."
I believe that "Start Port" refers to the port being accessed on the
internet side of your router. "End Port" is probably the destination
port on your internal computer. This allows you to translate the port.
This would be necessary if you wanted to access the same service
on multiple computers. Actually, the IP concept of service is
usually rendered as one port per service.

I also believe that after you have defined two entries, one
for 5800 and one for 5900, you can turn your remote management
back on.

+---+---+----------------+-------------+----------+-------------------+
|   | # |  Service Name  |  Start Port | End Port | Server IP Address |
| X | 1 |  VNC Java DL   |    5800     |   5800   |    192.168.1.2    |
| X | 2 |  VNC Viewer    |    5900     |   5900   |    192.168.1.2    |

Cheers,

Carlyle

--

Diese E-Mail enthdlt vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich gesch|tzte Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrt|mlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet.